Even though Samsung hasn’t released the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA update for the Galaxy Tab 2 yet (there are no words about a possible launch either) you can still receive the latest features and capabilities that are being available on the Android system. All you have to do for enjoying the same is to learn how to install the latest version of SlimBean custom ROM firmware. Well, that’s exactly what we will be checking during the present tutorial, so if you want to update your Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 to Android 4.3, apply the guidelines from below.
This version of SlimBean (the one from this step by step guide) has been customized especially for the Galaxy Tab 2 so the firmware is smoothly running on the mentioned device. Anyhow you should know that the SlimBean ROM has been developed and also released by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial. Therefore, SlimBean is just a free aftermarket release of the Android system; in our case of Jelly Bean 4.3 as the update is based on the same.
Considering the up mentioned lines, the SlimBean ROM isn’t an official Android update released for your Tab 2. Furthermore, by flashing the same you will be able to receive Android 4.3 OS on your tablet, though the software will not be the default one as custom features, apps, capabilities and looks will be added. Also, since we are talking about a custom ROM, the same can be used for improving the performances, the battery life and the speeds of your Galaxy Tab 2.
SlimBean is a powerful system that is quite popular among Android users as the ROM is suitable with almost all the Android based devices out there. Furthermore, SlimBean is stable, works without problems and without lags so why not to try the same? These aspects are also applying when talking about your Samsung Tab 2, which means that after applying the guidelines from this guide, you will be able to enjoy a stable and fast version of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS.
Before heading to the proper installation procedure, you should first root your tablet. You see, if your handset isn’t rooted you can’t complete this tutorial, so gaining root access is a must have. Also, similar with the root procedure, you need to install a custom recovery image on your Tab 2. The custom recovery image will be used on the flashing operation which again means that you cannot apply SlimBean Android 4.3 firmware on your Tab 2 without replacing the stock recovery with the custom one.
All these, including the present process, are unofficial operations. Therefore the warranty of your Tab 2 will get void. This aspect can’t be avoided, so be careful when performing the root or any of the mentioned tasks. If somehow, the warranty will be required, you will be able to restore the same; in order to do so downgrading to stock Android Jelly Bean software is what you need to do.
So, at this point you should have a rooted Galaxy Tab 2 that is installed with CWM recovery or with any other custom recovery image. Next, optional but recommended, you need to backup the data which is stored on your tablet (only the info that is saved on the internal storage memory) because a wipe will be applied on the update operation. So, take care of everything you need including EFS folder, internet settings and current ROM – make a Nandroid backup.
On the other hand, we have the pre requisites; the preparation tasks are referring to the following:
- A computer or notebook is being required as the update must be downloaded on the same.
- Your tablet must be charged; if your device gets turned off in the middle of the flashing operation you will risk in bricking your Tab 2; that’s why, if there is less than 50% power left, plug in the charger.
- Enable USB debugging on your device because the tablet must be connected with the computer; you can check the mentioned option by going to “settings -> applications -> development”.
- Also, since the firmware isn’t official, for avoiding the unpleasant situations you have to deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection that is currently running on your computer and on your handset.
- Apply this tutorial for updating the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS with SlimBean custom ROM only if you own the mentioned device; the steps from below are compatible only with the Tab 2.
how to upgrade galaxy tab 2 using SlimBeam Custom ROM firmware
- Download SlimBean software from here.
- Place the update on your computer.
- Don’t unzip the package just save it on desktop.
- Download Google apps package from here and also save the same on desktop without unzipping.
- You need to connect your tablet with the computer.
- For doing so use the Galaxy Tab 2 USB cable and establish the connection.
- Take all the downloaded files from desktop and transfer them to your tablet’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable as the computer will no longer be required.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Reboot it in recovery mode.
- First wipe the system, but don’t forget to backup the data first.
- Select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- You then have to go back to main menu of recovery from where you need to choose “advance” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Again, return to recovery.
- This time select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the SlimBean ROM and flash the same.
- Repeat the process and pick and install the Google Apps package on your handset.
- In the end, return to main menu of recovery and select “reboot system now”.
The first boot will take longer than usual; don’t worry there is nothing wrong with your tablet. In case you device will get stuck, you will have to enter recovery once more; then you will have to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Reboot and enjoy.
Congratulations, you have installed SlimBean custom ROM firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 model number P3100. Now, your tablet is running on custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, so don’t hesitate and test the new software. Do let us know how things worked for you and share your experience with us by using the comments area from below.